Spanning the Harlem River between Manhattan and the Bronx, the High Bridge was completed in 1848 as a crucial component of the Old Croton Aqueduct system. Designed by chief engineer John B. Jervis, the bridge was modeled after ancient Roman aqueducts, featuring stone arches that elevated large iron water pipes 138 feet above the river.
This system brought fresh gravity-fed water 41 miles from upstate Westchester County into rapidly expanding New York City, combating yellow fever outbreaks and fires. Originally, two 36-inch cast-iron pipes were laid beneath the bridge deck, later replaced and supplemented by a massive 90-inch iron pipe as water demand exploded. In 1927, to improve river navigation for large ships, five of the central masonry arches were demolished and replaced with a single steel arch span, dramatically altering its profile while retaining its function.
By the mid-20th century, the pipe system was decommissioned, and the bridge fell into disrepair, closing to the public in the 1970s. Following a comprehensive multi-million dollar restoration project, the High Bridge reopened in 2015, converting the historic engineering monument into an elevated pedestrian park.